Monday, September 27, 2010

Falling into Place

Do you ever feel that everything is finally coming together? That all the pieces of your life are finally, gloriously, falling into place?

Apparently, I felt that so much so last evening, I decided to demonstrate this symbolically.

By literally falling down the steps.

I have to say, that while I didn't have the best view of this event, I am quite confident that it had to have been one of the funniest sights lucky observers were priveledged enough to witness.

I was exiting a brand new small group meeting (my church's version of Bible study). Honestly, it was our inaugural gathering. Now, two of the members (other than myself) were not perfect strangers--they were members of our previous small group that had...well, become a large group. So we split 'er up and branched 'er out. But yes, there were also two brand new people present in this group, and yes, I did make a total moron out of myself in front of them and my two close friends from our old group.

We'd had a great night discussing the Word, forming friendships, laughing, and just generally making merry, but alas, it was time to go. So I slung my schoolbag over my shoulder, (I should mention that this contained, among other items, my laptop, my Bible, and a stack of papers yet to be graded), said my farewells, and headed out for the front door, clicking along confidently in my high-heeled, open-toed shoes.

I didn't get too far.

I wish I could see it in slow motion, because it happened so fast--I didn't even know I was falling until I was on the ground.

No kidding.

And not just a little stumble.

Total, utter faceplant.

I missed the first step in my heels, so consequently, I missed all of them. (Luckily, I think there were only three--but then again, I don't know--I missed them all!)

All I know is that it was dark, and I was literally FLYING, and then I was on the ground, staring at the concrete, wondering how the heck did this just happen?

And then: Oh, please, tell me that did NOT just happen.

But it did. And I really wish I could get a slow-mo instant replay. Seriously, it would have to be priceless. The expression on my face alone would probably be enough to induce tears of hysterical laughter--poor sap, she never even saw it coming! Really--I don't think my expression changed until I actually picked myself up off the ground.

But I'm no worse for the wear if you ignore the nicked ankle, the slight bruise on my knee, and the slightly bigger bruise to my ego.

And, hey--somebody had to lighten the mood.

And perhaps I should also go lighten my bag, to avoid future catastrophes.

1 comment:

  1. I can't help but laugh when people fall.....as much as I try not too. Glad you weren't hurt worse, and I hope you laughed too....it helps cover up the embarrassment!

    ReplyDelete