Sunday, December 26, 2010

Wow, 2010...

So... if you live in the area known as Delmarva, you may have noticed that, apparently, the entire peninsula has been mysteriously transported to the Arctic region.

I am very excited that we experienced a white Christmas. The first one I can remember being blessed with, although, of course, we may have had one or two during the years that I was too little to now remember. I know it was Kaliah's first white Christmas.

I am significantly less excited that there seems to be nearly a foot of snow outside at the moment, gusting around in what can only be described as "crucial" winds, which are, I have heard, reaching speeds of forty miles per hour.

I dunno, perhaps the snow is just far less appealing to me right now than I might normally find it because I am, of course, already on my winter hiatus from teaching. Something about a colossal dump of snow outside and no additional time off from work is wildly unfortunate. Of course, I shouldn't be complaining. After all, I am relaxing at home instead of working, regardless of the reason. And actually, when the "first" storm of the season left us about an inch of snow last week, we started our winter vacation a day and a half early.

But perhaps I'm less excited about this wintry mess simply because I want to scream, "ENOUGH ALREADY, 2010!!" This crazy year has brought more snow, I'm pretty sure, than the Eastern shore has seen within all other years' of my lifetime's total snowfalls COMBINED. And probably, that's only a slight exaggeration.

So, in closing--it was a beautiful white Christmas. But, 2010, you made your point. You will go down in history as the year of three blizzards (two within a week of each other) to all us Delmarvians. And now, could we kindly be teleported somewhere with less severe weather? Or if its gotta be an extreme... I vote for extreme heat. Seriously. I'd probably prefer a desert to the bitter cold, wet, slushy disaster that has become my backyard.

Oh well. At least it's pretty.

Merry Christmas! Happy New Year! And whoever was dreaming of the white Christmas... can you please wake up now? And tell your connections in slumber land that we've had enough?

Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. Haha, agreed! I just shoveled out the walkway so it's not up to my knees, but I'm sure all that wacky wind will soon obliterate my clean path. There's no way I'm driving my car out there, so I hope someone from work can come get me! We have a paper to get to print today. 0.o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Did the paper get printed? Did you get to work? I hurt in places I didn't know I had from shoveling yesterday, and I still have about half my grandmother's driveway to do today...

    ReplyDelete