Saturday, January 22, 2011

Decisions, Decisions...

So I've recently decided that having spent the last 28 years of my life not caring about the NFL has led me to miss out on a lot of fun. My life is, I'll admit, jam packed as it is, so I don't have it in me to become a die-hard fan. Nevertheless, this is a time of the year that seems like it would be so much more exciting if I had an affiliation or admiration for a particular team. It's kinda late to jump on a bandwagon this year, but I've decided that I should select a team now to lend my devotions to, so that next year, I too can share in the hype, trash talk, celebration, and (usually) crushing defeat that comes with being a football fan.

First, some history. Some of you may know that I was a cheerleader in high school. I never cared too much about football back then (it was really cold outside, usually, and I was always concerned about not falling off the pyramid). But even with my limited knowledge of football, you couldn't help but get passionate about a close game, and when you win that close game--pretty awesome feeling. As I've gotten older, having realized that most boyfriends are a package deal that involve the NFL, my knowledge of how the game is played has increased slightly. Teaching at a high school in which football is the favorite past time of the entire town has really helped get me sucked into the accompanying mania that come along with play-offs and nail-biting matches, too.

So, yeah. I like sports. I sort of understand football now. I've realized that lots of other people feel deep loyalty and joy stemming from following their teams. So, since I'm missing out on this wonderful world of fun, competition, and food (there seems to be lots of eating and drinking during game time), I've decided I need to just go ahead and pick a favorite football team.

Now. No one in my family watches football, so there's no easy team for me to inherit. After having consulted friends and facebook in eliciting advice in this endeavor, here's where I stand in the decision making process:

1. The Ravens. They're from Baltimore, so they're local (ish). Their colors are black and purple, which I like. They're named after a famous poem. Plus that Flacco guy has a cool name.
2. The Steelers. Being from PA, they are also relatively local. (Too bad Delaware just doesn't have a team. That would make this much easier). They are heavy, heavy favorites at the restaurant where I wait tables, so supporting them would probably be fun and exciting at my part-time job. Plus there's a cool hip-hop song out now called "Black and Yellow." I have to admit, though, that yellow is not a great color for me. Plus... what's a steeler?
3. The Saints. I had to put them on here, only because they are Jennifer Scholl's favorite team. Jen is from New Orleans, and because I'm a little afraid of her, I usually do what she tells me to do. (Plus she's a wonderful human being whom I love very much, and she is right just about 100% of the time. She strongly feels that I should become a Saints fan).
4. The Dolphins. I know, they're terrible. Not one person has suggested that I become a Dolphins fan. But they were featured in one of my (don't laugh) favorite movies of all time: Ace Ventura, Pet Detective. Plus they have super pretty colors, and the one time in my life that I ever put money on a game, I supported the (winless, at that time) Dolphins and they managed to pull it together long enough to win their only game of the season. Maybe if I supported them, their luck would turn around.
5. The Redskins. Also kind of local. I've been told they suck, too. But I know someone who works for them... maybe he'd still be willing to get me free seats? Also, an argument from a longtime friend, who wrote via facebook: "Redskins! Long, rich history...and our players don't stab people or assault girls at clubs! *coughraylewiscough* *coughbigbencough*"
6. The Jets. Somewhat close in location to the only other professional sports team I've ever really cared about: The New Jersey Devils of the NHL. As a bonus, like the Steelers, they're still in the running for this year's Super Bowl.

I've also heard arguments supporting Dallas, Denver, Philadelphia, and the Bucs (Sorry, don't even know where they're from). I enjoyed my friend Anna's take on Denver: "Tim Tebow plays for Denver - I think. He is a strong Christian. He was quarterback for Florida, and always gave God the glory and wrote scripture on his face." Scripture on his face, hmm? Fairly compelling argument there.

Philadelphia: I love the city, but even in my lackadaisical interest in professional athletics, I harbor an almost immediate hatred for all teams Philadelphia: It started with my great dislike of the Flyers (which stemmed mainly from the fact that my brother loved them... I know. I was twelve. It seemed like solid reasoning at the time). And actually, even before that, when Mommom was trying to make baseball fans out of us... our loyalty to the Orioles brought with it an intense hatred of the Damn Yankees and (to a lesser extent, of course) the Phillies.

Dunno. There are much more important decisions to ponder: How will I get all of these book projects graded when I keep wandering off to blog or facebook? Where can I go run a 5k before January ends, so as to not screw up my one-race-per-month minimum that's been in effect since May? Do I allow myself the endless pancakes at the Applebees breakfast tomorrow, or try to stay away from the excess carbs? Should I be revising my first novel, or plugging along on my second--or should I be doing both? Now that I've read through the entire Bible, what kind of reading plan should I implement to make sure I'm still in the Word daily? Will I get a literary agent this year?

Decisions, decisions. Maybe I'll just throw the names of the front-runners for favorite NFL team in a hat and draw one. Then I could be done with that question, and it would always be an interesting story to tell, when asked why I like the Whoevers.

Or, as other friends cautioned me, maybe I'm better off to be blissfully uninvolved when it comes to the NFL. Maybe I'll add "STOP WASTING YOUR TIME" to my hat, and if I draw that card, it will mean that I was never meant to be a football fan.

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment